Knee pain is known to be one of the most commonly observed musculoskeletal complaints that doctors address these days. Changes in the modern day lifestyle give rise to knee problems. The prevalence of arthritis is more in India than that of cancer and diabetes. The annual mortality rate due to rheumatoid arthritis is 100,000 while 180 million people in India remain affected by this ailment. Instead of taking treatment, many of the patients ignore the pain. Knee pain result from several causes and specific treatments are provided for them.
Types of Knee Pain
In general terms, knee muscle pain can be:
- Acute knee pain: They are a result of acute infection or injury.
- Chronic knee pain: They are a result of inflammation (like arthritis) or injuries resulting from an infection.
Knee muscle pain treatment is varied depending on the reason causing it. Some of the medical causes of knee pain along with their treatments are mentioned below:
- Sprained ligaments: People having a sprained or torn ligament might need to undergo surgical repair. High-level athletes go for it to return back to their optimum potential. Some people may also go for knee braces and conservative treatment if they do not demand their knees rigorously.
- Tendon ruptures: A partial rupture can be treated using splinting, whereas the severe cases require surgical repair.
- Dislocated kneecap: The doctor may use splinting for allowing the soft tissues to strengthen. Exercises might be recommended.
- Meniscal injuries: For this type of condition, the arthroscopic surgical repair might be needed.
- Knee osteoarthritis: The treatment focuses on controlling the pain using over-the-counter medications. Anti-inflammatory drugs are also administered. Severe forms of this condition are treated using narcotic pain medications. Knee joint replacement may also be considered.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: Treatment includes prescription drugs, anti-inflammatory drugs, and pain medications.
- Bursitis: The treatment includes home care along with the administration of NSAIDs and PRICE therapy. Severe forms are treated with periodic steroid injections.
- Crystalline arthritis: Treatment focuses on using anti-inflammatory drugs for controlling inflammation.
- Infection: The pain and swelling are evaluated by the doctor. Treatment focuses on using intensive antibiotic therapy. A surgical drainage might be recommended as well.
- Jumper’s knee: Treatment includes anti-inflammatory drugs. Adequate rest is necessary along with NSAID drugs. Exercisescan also be recommended for strengthening the calf muscles, hip, and hamstrings.
As knee pain can result from various causes, it is suggested to follow some general rules in order to keep them away. Try using these preventive measures to avoid knee pain:
- Reduce weight so the knee is not subject to excessive force. This means one must stay slim.
- Use a walking stick or wear braces if one needs support or feel pain.
- Avoid strenuous activity such as running up and down the stairs.
- Use mild non-impact exercises such as swimming or cycling.